Navy Sweethearts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Navy Sweethearts

Navy Sweethearts of the world get together.
Girlfriends, Fiancess, Wives, Family members, Enlisted memebers,
If you have any tie to the navy,
be it emotional, physical whatever.
Come in and let it roll.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

preparing for deployment :(

Go down 
+2
~Lynzy~
Super Panda Girl
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

preparing for deployment :( Empty
PostSubject: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 2:16 am

Well... We just found out today that Brandon is going to be getting deployed in October or November!!! It sucks He will be gone 6-9 months.. so not that long, but still! This is deployment #1. I have gone through deployments before.. with my ex fiance. And now im even more scared because of that... he died in Iraq on his last deployment. So i think im like double scared and every other feeling!!! We are using this to get out of our lease here.. Because when we first moved here we had like 2 weeks to find an apartment and the one we picked we HATE! And learned that appearently has some problems with PARTYING(my neighbors, ughhh) And so we are moving.

Im also freaking out.. because i have NO idea what im going to do. I have NO friends here. Nobody to hang out with while he is gone. So i guess its going to be a VERY lonely 6-9 months, huh.

Anybody have any ideas to share with me? I know alot of you have gone through a few deployments. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Super Panda Girl
Shore Duty
Super Panda Girl

Number of posts : 284
Rate : MM3
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 11:37 am

preparing for deployment :( 98491

All I can think of is keep yourself busy. And we will all be here for you!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/missweetziebat
~Lynzy~
Admin
Admin
~Lynzy~

Number of posts : 715
Rate : MMN3

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 1:05 pm

yeah... we are here for you!

Don't forget, you can stay busy, and not be lonely. occasionally you will be, even if you surround yourself by amillion people. but you'll be fine! just stay strong!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynzylou

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 1:38 pm

I agree with the girls......KEEP BUSY! Take some classes, start a hobby like knitting, get a job if you don't already have one, etc.

Also, once he does leave if you count the time that he's gone by paydays it doesn't seem that long! That's what I did when Ty was on his last deployment......it helped the kids too because they got to mark those days off!
Back to top Go down
~Lynzy~
Admin
Admin
~Lynzy~

Number of posts : 715
Rate : MMN3

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 1:42 pm

that's a great idea!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/lynzylou
Sarah
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Sarah

Number of posts : 800
Rate : FC2
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 4:39 pm

We are here for you girl! Let us know if you need anything. I agree, keep busy and time will fly!
Back to top Go down
Pamela
Recruit
Pamela

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 3:18 pm

It is def. a great idea to have things to occupy your time.. try to make new friends ... meet new people and just stay as busy as possible.. I know it is hard and there are still going to be those moments.. but we are here for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hughensphotography.com

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 12:36 am

im experiencing deployment now, but i have been finding new things to do that passes the time, like makin friends with everyone on here and other sites....talking does help....im here if u need someone!!! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 11:10 pm

Best advice...Ive been given...Get up,Get Dressed,and Get Out!

Go outside for a walk or run...increasing oxygen to your brain will increase your mood to being happier.If that makes sense.

Allowing yourself 20 mins a day in the sun will allow for Vitamin D to enter your body...which helps with Calcium and gives you strong bones.

Start a multivitamin.B vitamins help with depression...so if you're lacking in B vitamins,missing your Sailor wont help.

Some days you need to just shower and go outside.Even if that means window shopping at Barnes and Noble,or picking out imaginary items for your house you could never afford at Target...haha.This is stuff I do.Sometimes I'll sit with a huge stack of magazines at Borders...kills some time and lets me "interact" with adults.Join a book discussion at your local library or go to book discussions.You may meet friends there.

I know when hubby was busy underwaying...we purchased a dog,and I started dance lessons.Kept me busy and we went out to bars some nights...most of the ladies were military too.

Hope this gives you some pointers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 2:01 am

UncleSamWifey wrote:
Best advice...Ive been given...Get up,Get Dressed,and Get Out!

Go outside for a walk or run...increasing oxygen to your brain will increase your mood to being happier.If that makes sense.

Allowing yourself 20 mins a day in the sun will allow for Vitamin D to enter your body...which helps with Calcium and gives you strong bones.

Start a multivitamin.B vitamins help with depression...so if you're lacking in B vitamins,missing your Sailor wont help.

Some days you need to just shower and go outside.Even if that means window shopping at Barnes and Noble,or picking out imaginary items for your house you could never afford at Target...haha.This is stuff I do.Sometimes I'll sit with a huge stack of magazines at Borders...kills some time and lets me "interact" with adults.Join a book discussion at your local library or go to book discussions.You may meet friends there.

I know when hubby was busy underwaying...we purchased a dog,and I started dance lessons.Kept me busy and we went out to bars some nights...most of the ladies were military too.

Hope this gives you some pointers.

thats really good advice! thats one of the things that ive learned too that in the morning you just have to get up, shower, dressed, hair and makeup...even if youre not planning on going anywhere! it makes you feel like a human and might give you just the amount of motivation you need to go out and do something!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 9:07 pm

Yeah sometimes I just wash my hair,put the makeup on...go out to eat somewhere like Panera with a book.It gets me out of the house.Movies on base are $2? or something? So there ARE affordable things out there.See what is going on at the MWR...pick up the latest Discovery magazine.Esp. with summer theres bound to be something going on at your base or maybe an Army post.Also pick up the Flagship/whatever free base paper there is...they'll list local events.I cannot tell you when I was living in Leesburg,VA (Rachel- you know where Im talking about...haha)...I would look up history discussions,or museum exhibits...yeah you may feel weird going to this stuff...but it gets you out of the house.Im a huge history buff so if that means I sit in on a book discussion and Im the only one without dentures,thats okay.Then it gives me something to email the husband about!

Theres stuff out there...you just need to look.I know here and in the Washington,DC area,and most major cities...there is a free "underground" paper.DC has the City Paper,Norfolk has the LINK.They'll list local concerts,exhibits,movies,talks,book discussions,etc. ALOT of things are free or they cost like $5.

Also our local library has a bulletin board right at the front door so you can see what book groups are starting,concerts,plays,and dinner plays.

I gave you some ideas...Now run with them! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 12:37 am

awesome suggestions! it gets me motivated to get out of the house and do stuff...but then i go out, and theres soooo many STUPID people blah. me and dh decided we're not doing anymore touristy stuff here until the fall and only on weekdays. hopefully it will be better then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 8:01 am

Yeah it will...or go at night.Thats what I always did.Or metro everywhere.Thats the easiest...esp.if you aren't use to DC driving or know how to get in and out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 12:00 pm

yah we usually always use the metro anyway. dh gets free parking at the pentagon so we just do that and then hop on the metro there. we went to the 4th of july celebration in dc and the metro was NUTS! at least now we know it will get better once summer is over!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 8:08 am

Yeah...I always hate when the weather gets nice cause then its like ..."gawd,teenagers..." and visiting my fave museums on a lazy sunday become a headache...haha.

God,I miss culture and intrigue...I cant wait to move home to have this baby...hahaha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 12:40 pm

yah we think the same thing...all the friekin little kids running around is annoying lol! even going to the movies is a hassle! you're coming back up here to have the baby?!?!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 1:19 pm

Im thinking of it...I have no family here,and both sides are in NoVA.So if *anything happens* I have like 10 people who can take me...here I have to relie on the ambulance,and then its iffy on who can be at the hospital with me because they have to drive 3 hours.Not to mention...theres gonna come a point where...getting stuff done wont be possible by myself.Im thinking of moving up in December.

Plus with my husband deployed,I think hed rest easy with me being with family.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 1:28 pm

yah i definitely agree with you. youre right, God forbid, but if anything happens you should have family around that will be able to help take care of you and the baby. plus im sure it would put your hubbys mind to rest a bit to know that youre up with family and not stuck down south by yourself! when does he deploy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Early fall...and by early fall I mean...a matter of weeks without violating OPSEC. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 5:04 pm

wow...yah id say its a real good idea to come up north...then you can get situated with a doctor and all that. hey, ive been meaning to ask you, whats winter like up here? im a little scared lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 8:11 pm

its iffy....it'll be cold,then out of nowhere you'll get 12 inches and you cant get to work.Our neighborhood in Alexandria I swear was the last to be plowed.So hopefully,Ft.Belvoir will plow pretty easily and the highways will be fine...but the neighborhoods wont be.People will freak...you'll walk into the Commisary and all the bread/milk will be gone,and you'll get 2 inches the next day...haha.

The last snow in NoVA...our neighbor had this AWESOME tree in their front yard,and it looked like a Christmas card...its on my myspace,check it out.I went out at like 8pm to photograph it.

You'll get cabin fever...but I usually just bundled up and walked in the winter wonderland through the neighborhood.Dont put your windshield wipers up either...all the morons do that,and my friends from North Dakota just will laugh at you.You have more of a chance breaking them that way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 2:00 am

oh man...im definitely in for a shock. my parents have lived in the mountains in so cal for the past 5 years and i think the most they've gotten up there when i was around was like 6 inches...and thats a total just call in sick and play in the snow with the dogs kinda day...i cant even imagine 12 inches! im gonna love it though i think...i love the snow, and i dont have a job so no stress for me! we will just have to make sure and stock up on chef boyardee during the winter lol. dh's chief lives on base here too so that'll be good...he can always call him to see what to do about work. i so need to get one of those remote things on my keychain that will start my car. i always want one during the winter but then forget about it during the summer...it friggin sucks running out to the car to start it 15 minutes before you gotta leave. ill check out the pick right now! thanks for the info!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 4:31 am

well dh is getting ready to go on a 6 month soon and this is our 2nd one and i am scared to. just try your best on keeping busy . also i love to make dh care pagages you can even think of really cute ideas i bet he will like that. plus we are all here for you if you need to just vent ,.
Back to top Go down
rdersham
Deployed!
rdersham

Number of posts : 323
Rate : MM2
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 12:54 pm

what do the sub wives do here as far as care packages go?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/qt4u0369
Nicole
Bootcamp Survivor
Nicole

Number of posts : 90
Rate : EM3

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 1:03 pm

You just need to try and keep your time filled. I know not having friends in that area is a horrible feeling, but slowly you will make friends. Plus you have us girls to support you and be there for you when you need us. If you ever feel alone or need support we are here for ya.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/boudica27
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: preparing for deployment :(   preparing for deployment :( Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

preparing for deployment :(
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next